Monday, March 29, 2010

Things are slowing down.

I continue to adjust to this new "post food" life.  As of a couple of days ago, my weight is hovering right about 270 lbs.  Dropping below that mark is significant because that will mark exactly 80 lbs of weight loss since December 28, 2009 when started the liquid diet in prep for the surgery.

That being said, my weight loss has slowed to some extent.  At one point I was losing 5-6 lbs a week.  Now, I think I'm doing 2-3.  And the weight loss is still a yo-yo type of a game.  For example, one day I stepped on the scale and I was 273.  A day later it says I'm 279!  That is enough is tick you off, especially when you paid as money as I did to get this surgery and even more so when you don't feel like you really at a whole lot in the 24 hours between weigh-ins.  Funny thing is, even prior to the surgery my weight would always fluctuate in that same way, sometimes as much as 5-6 pounds depending on what I ate or drank, etc.  So, I am not surprised that this should be the case, but that doesn't meant that it isn't somewhat disheartening still to see that happen.   So, to even that out a bit, I've made a concerted effort to NOT weight myself every day.  Ideally, I'd only do it every week, but I'm far too curious for that so I do it about twice a week.  I always weigh in the morning, before breakfast, and after visiting the restroom (because we don't want any extra ballast now, do we?).

Not to be overly graphic, but I have noticed that weight loss occurs more rapidly when my diet has enough fiber and roughage.  As I've noted before, I'm supposed to concentrate on proteins, but my digestive systems was never great shakes before the surgery, and it certainly doesn't care for loads of proteins now that I'm post surgery.  So, I bought a fiber supplement to help "move things along," if you know what I mean.  And I'm sure you do.  Not only does it make me feel better, it has help with losing weight.  I've never really studied the issue so I don't know if fiber cause malabsorption or not, but so far it has helped me.

Another thing that I'm supposed to participate in are some support groups that aim to keep me losing the weight.  I missed the one in January because I was stuck at a trial.  In March, I went to the place where it was being held, but couldn't find the meeting (it was at a local motel).  I asked the clerk and he assured me nothing was going on that night.  I found out later that he was full of it.  Suffice it to say that I have not made it to a support group as of yet.

I also need to start exercising more.  There was a time when I had a gym membership and could work out at will, but I let it lapse and now I've found it hard to find time to do it.  I've walked on a limited basis with my wife (but I still walk too slowly for her.  I think she's a power racer) but to really get this fat off I think I need to start breaking a good sweat.  I'd like to start playing basketball again, but haven't found a group of guys that are interested in doing it, so that's a non-starter right now.  I'd like to play racquet ball, but no luck their either.  Guess I will keep looking and walking.  I am a bit concerned about increased physical activity, however, because I STILL have the numbness in both of my thighs.  I think it is getting better, but the left leg is a bit worse that the right leg.  They are both tender to the touch and then can hurt when I run a little (though not so much that I think it would impair physical activity) and also tend to numbness.  My regular doctor (or at least his PA) said he knew exactly what it is (and I'd tell you if I could remember name.  It wasn't sclerosis of any kind, but it sounded like it) and said that it will continue to diminish over time.  He says it was caused by damage to the nerves, probably while my legs were strapped down on the operating table.   Well, at least I'm still mobile and walking upright.

I took some new measurements the other night and now I need to get some new photos, then I'll paste them up so you can all see them. . . assuming anyone is actually reading any of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment