Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Diet (week 2)

The diet has been interesting, to say the least.  I wish I could convey what it's actually like to go without solid food for a week.  The first three or four days were simply miserable.  You must understand that food plays a very large part of my life.  During those first 4 days, you really do obsess about it.  Every smell of food just threatens to send you over the top.  My first week was even worse because it came over a holiday and my wife's family was in town and there was food everywhere!  That makes it really hard.   However, as the week wore on I noticed that it got easier and easier, thought at times you think you're going to lose it.  The protein shakes do a reasonably good job of keeping hunger pangs in check, so if you can keep busy, that helps to get past the rough spots.  Although I must admit that at one point last week I would have killed for a Pizza Hut Meat Lovers.  At times I was woozy and light headed. At others I was nauseous and felt sick. One unexpected issue is the fact that the protein shakes have lost their appeal   For the first few days they were actually good, but now I have no desire to see another chocolate or vanilla protein drink in my life.  Honestly, at this point I'm surviving on about two of them a day.  The dietitian tells me that there are actually protein drinks that come in fruit flavors like lemon and berry.  That would have been better. 

Psychologically, this has begun to get harder also.  Actually, it would be stated that it is getting scarier.  As I was driving home from the court today I was struck by a mini paic attack as I realized that the surgery is less than a week away and my preop appointment with my doctor is just a few days away.  More than that, the hospital started calling asking for their money.   Having to fork out the case definitely drives home the point that this is for real. I was okay after I got back to work and chatted with my wife for a few minutes.  She's been very supportive of the whole effort, and is feeling her own fears at this point.  The same as previously described, only starting to intensify. 

Ah, one interesting thing of note.  When I went to my last doctor's appointment and they weighed me, I was 346 lbs.  This morning I jumped on my wife's scale.  I was 324 lbs.  Yes, I 've lost a little over 20 pounds in just under 9 days.  My wife says she can tell.  Personlly, I think that  is like tossing a deck chair off the titanic.  I do not believe that this is real weight loss.  I'm sorry, but you don't just strip 20 lbs off in 9 days.  My wife thinks that some bodies are different and can lost that much weight that quickly.  It doesn't doesn't feel real to me.  Still, I'll be interested to see what the final total turns out to be.

If the rest of the week is like the past two days, I think I may be able to do this.    I suspect that the weekend will again be the worst as I'm at home and time doesn't go as fast, etc. 

BTW, if anyone is actually reading this, I'd appreciate some feed back or a some comments.  just so I know I'm not talking to myself. 

1 comment:

  1. Okay, so I hope that it is not a violation of your privacy, but I am reading it. I am so impressed that you are doing this. I cannot claim to have any perspective on your experience but have struggled mightily through lots of my own crap and do recognize how much it takes to even face up to an issue. That alone is awesome! Keep up the good work, you are doing great! I hope that the new chapter you are beginning is SO worth it. And I know that the people that matter most are really proud of you too.

    PS. Sorry to hear you had to endure your wife's family on top of it all. That is a special form of torture all by itself :).

    ReplyDelete